Monday, September 17, 2007

What do you do when they say "I don't want friends?"

This afternoon, I got called back to help with Mahesh. He was hitting and punching other kids, running away from his teacher and arguing with her, along with general defiance. She seemed reluctant to admit to defeat but he finally said, please take him away. I took him into an empty stairwell, the only thing there to read is the EXIT sign, we pulled a desk in there, and he filled out a paper that was made up for him. His answers from the first time are in blue. He had to do it again because of the scribbles and non-compliance, his answers the second time are in red. And again, his third answers are in green.
I Broke the rule:
do not punch and listen to the teacher the first time
do not punch and listen to the teacher the first time
do not punch and listen to the teacher the first time

I Broke the rule because:
I like to make bad choices I do not want to follow the rules XXXXXXXXXX(SCRIBBLES)
I like to make bad choices
I like to make bad choices


What should happen because I broke the rule?
XXXXXXXXXXX(SCRIBBLES)
Not allowed in first grade
Put my head down

From now on I will:
Not make good choices
Not make good choices XXXXXXXXXXXXX(SCRIBLES)
Make good choices

Here is my apology :
I am sorry to Andy and Evan
I am sorry to Evan and Colin
I am sorry to Evan and Andy

Signature____Mahesh____
Date___9/17_________ Time_1:00__1:20__1:45____


I had a long talk with him about how you need to make good choices and be a nice person so you can have fun with your friends. He said he doesn't want friends, he just want to make bad choices and not go to first grade, he just wants to go to second grade. I am wondering if first grade is too easy for him? He reading and writing skills are way above the other children's but his math and drawing skills are very low. After the talk, he told his teacher that he is not going to make good choices today, she said that was sad and she was very disappointed in him and he smiled. So I took him back to the empty stairwell and let him do math all by himself for 20 minutes. I talked to him again and he still insisted saying that he was not going to make good choices, so he had to put his head down until school was over. Nothing was solved and I have no real ideas on what to do.

No comments: