Thursday, August 14, 2008

Behavior Wheels

I just downloaded a Behavior Wheel to help me in my Autistic Support Classroom. It looks like an excellent visual tool to help with the children's behaviors. I can create a separate wheel for each child that lists their typical misbehaviors, such as: hitting, screaming, throwing things, running away and arguing with the teacher. I can then program different consequences such as write a sorry note, do three nice things, give three compliments... that they can do after their time out (if necessary). It's actually pretty cool the way it works, you click the mouse to spin, lights flash and a sad noise plays, then the consequence comes up. I think the children will accept their consequences more readily from this wheel.
I am also programming it as a reward wheel. I'm putting in good behaviors such as: sharing, cleaning up, listening the first time, great eye-contact, good manners, good working and being a great friend. So when I catch the students doing one of these behaviors, they get rewarded by spinning the wheel. Consequences such as: extra computer time, extra library time, extra recess time and prize box choice, will come up. Hopefully I will be using it more as a reward system to encourage positive behaviors. Here is the link to the behavior wheel http://www.better-behaviour.com/?hop=schwarox.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

where can i download one of those behavior wheels i think it would help with my grandson

schwa said...

try this page for a behavior wheel. Thanks for reading http://www.workingwithautism.info/rewardsystems.htm

Anonymous said...

Hi,

just like to get your idea on how you handle misbehaviour like hitting, throwing things w/o the use of the behavior wheel... thanks so much.